Clear all

[Solved] Social Login to comment but not to write in forum. Need advice

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@ruggero)

Hi all,

I have WPForo and WPDiscuz installed, all it's ok.

Now I would like to use the social login feature to allow users to login and comment posts but not write in forum, where only my site's users have to be allowed to.

If I didn't misunderstand, when a social user log-in with its social account, the plugin creates a new user in my site, well, I don't want that this "external user" can write in forum too, but only limited to comment posts in WPDiscuz.

I thought to create another level of default user, let's say "Guest user" that can interact only with comments, while the normal "registered users" can be assigned to WPForo as default users, am I right?

Or, is there another way to do it?

Thanks in advance

Topic Tags
4 Replies
Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)
Illustrious Member

Hi Ruggero,

I may suggest you use the WordPress Multisite for this. You'll just need to install the wpForo on some subdomain of your website. In this case, you'll have separate users on your forum and website. 

Topic starter
(@ruggero)

Thanks for advice Asti, but to install WPMS only to have another level of users maybe is a too heavy operation.

In any case, I'll think on it, many thanks.

Any other ideas?

2 Replies
Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@ruggero,

There is also a solution with user_register hook. If you're a developer you can do some customization and can set some role for the users, then synchronize it with wpForo Usergroups. 

Once you find a way to set the user role to those users, it'll be easy to restrict the members from posting on the forum. This wpForo FAQ should be helpful for you: https://wpforo.com/community/faq/wordpress-user-roles-wpforo-usergroups-and-forum-accesses/

(@ruggero)

@asti

Thanks Asti, so the solution is to play with user roles, as I supposed.

Thanks for pointing me to the detailed explanations 👍 

Have a great weekend

Share: