The effects of alcohol on sustanon 250 leucine for – real weight loss & bodybuilding benefits?
what happens when y...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Question [Solved] what happens when you disconnect social login? (re new Facebook advanced access requirements)

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@maryann-johanson)

I've just been notified by Facebook that I have to verify my "business" (which is just me as a freelance writer, and my website) in order to continue having my wpDiscuz install integrating with Facebook via the social-login option. I am unable to complete the verification as Facebook requires (they want documents from me that do not exist), so I'm going to have to turn off FB as a social-login option.

So here's my question: What happens to my existing commenters, and their comments, who have logged in via FB? Will they be able to continue to login because they already exist as commenters at my site? Do I have to ask them to set up new commenter profiles via some method other than FB social login... and if so, is there some way for them to reclaim the comments they posted when they'd logged in via FB?

I'm going to have to go to my readers and these specific commenters (fortunately there aren't too many of them) with details about how they (and I) are going to handle this transition, so I want to have as much info as possible before I do that.

I also worry now that Twitter (I refuse to call it X) might revoke the access that allows for social login via that site, so I need to be prepared for if/when that happens. Frankly, I might want to delete the social login option entirely (except maybe for Wordpress), because I can see the same thing happening with other social services.

Thanks for any help! This is gonna be a huge hassle for me, and I appreciate whatever assistance or advice anyone has to offer.

4 Replies
Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)
Illustrious Member

Hi MaryAnn Johanson,

Sorry for the late response. 

Nothing will happen with the comments and the user profiles when you deactivate any of the social login buttons. 

The users can set their password on their profile page and log in to your website in a regular way. 

1 Reply
(@maryann-johanson)

@asti This sounds promising. Just so I understand, are you saying that a social login option is only really used to initially set up a commenter profile, and after that there is no more communication between my site and, in this case, Facebook? So, after I disconnect FB login, my commenters who are using FB social login can continue to use the same commenter profile on my site? 

I guess I'm a little confused because the email addresses these users have as their registered email on my site look like this: "10112641955072516@facebook.com" and obviously that's not going to be an email address they actually have access to. But I suppose they could go into their profiles (or I could do so for them) and change that email address...

It sounds like perhaps the best thing to do is ensure that everyone is aware of the situation and has the opportunity to get into their profiles BEFORE I disconnect the social login...

Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @maryann-johanson

So, after I disconnect FB login, my commenters who are using FB social login can continue to use the same commenter profile on my site? 

Yes, sure, they already have a profile on your website. 

I guess I'm a little confused because the email addresses these users have as their registered email on my site look like this: "10112641955072516@facebook.com" and obviously that's not going to be an email address they actually have access to. But I suppose they could go into their profiles (or I could do so for them) and change that email address...

This is generated because social logins like Facebook do not provide the email addresses of the users. Therefore, this type of email is generated as WordPress does not allow the creation of an account without an email address.

You can manually change the email address for such users by editing their profile page in the Dashboard and filling in their real email addresses.

1 Reply
(@maryann-johanson)

@asti Okay, this is good, I have some info to share with my readers. I'll be back if we encounter any problems. Thank you! 🙂

Share: