Notifications
Clear all

Multiple Comment Boxes in article Showing Duplicated Question Prompts

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@burlesonbrad)

https://oneburleson.com/community-questions-for-nona-collins-reed-school-board-candidate/

Go check out that article that I linked to above. 

In the article, I have placed several opportunities for readers to share their feedback and comments.

Unfortunately WpDiscuz has somehow managed to duplicate the first occurrence of the inline comments several times in each additional comment block that was added.

To test this and replicate it and verify, I copied the comment hash and then clicked <ctrl+F> to find all the occurrences of that same hash:

https://prnt.sc/GtqmHUFEQar_

And, I noticed that it came up 8 times in the article.  That's not a problem if the enduser/reader is making only one comment at one spot in the article.

Now, it does become a problem when each of the prompts are showing the exact same dialogue in the comment box.

Here's the first occurrence in the article:

Take note of the text dialogue in that first prompt. 

Now, here's the next inline comment block further down the article:

It is a separate additional comment block.  But on the front end, it's showing the exact same dialogue as the inline comment prompt above it in the article.  On the backend though, that prompt has completely different dialogue put into the prompt.  Here, let me show you:

Notice the prompt displaying on the front end of the site is not the same as what was put into the Inline comment block on the backend of the site.  The backend of the block was created with the text prompt of Burleson Voters: Do you believe that candidate Nona Reed can ever 'perform ... duties for the BISD' ever again? 

However, take note that the front end of that block is displaying the text from the previous block. Now also note that it is not what was entered into the backend of the Inline Comments block settings. The frontend of the block is prompting readers with this text "Do Burleson Voters think that Nona can justify in a convincing manner, why it is that she waited until the last second to file her candidacy paperwork?" 

And there is a continuation of this pattern all down the article.  It's not like the backend of the block was copy/pasted or anything. It's a whole new inline code block that is entered into the article using a completely separate text prompt. And this happens over and over again throughout various Inline Comments block.

The backend will have a totally unique set of text prompt for each placement in the article.  Yet the front end will simply completely ignore the unique text prompts and display the same prompt over and over again.

Why is this happening and what can be done to prevent this from happening again?

4 Replies
Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)
Illustrious Member

Please let us know how the shortcode has been added. Have you used the "Inline commenting" button?

Please try to change the ID of each shortcode manually and check again. It must be unique. 

Topic starter
(@burlesonbrad)

As I mentioned previously, it was indeed placed using the /block.

And, .... **HOW** specifically would one change the ID?

Is one supposed to randomly guess a string and assign it to each /block?

------------------------------------------------------------------

just for visual clarification (again)

1st block:

frontend

backend

2nd block:

frontend

backend

3rd block:

frontend

backend

4th block:

frontend

backend

5th block:

front end

backend

(starting to see that the frontend isn't matching what was entered on the backend?)

6th block:

frontend

backend

I could keep going, but.....

See how the backend of the <code>question=</code> is **NOT** matching to what is displaying on the front end of the site?

1.) Why is that happening?

2.) I'll happily change the ID.  But ... to what should I make it?  Do I just use random characters to change the ID?

3.) What can be done to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks! 

1 Reply
Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@burlesonbrad,

First of all please change the IDs and let us know how it works. So we'll be able to clarify the process for further support. 

2.) I'll happily change the ID.  But ... to what should I make it?  Do I just use random characters to change the ID?

Yes, the ID in the shortcode contains some random characters. Just note, that it can't have more than 10 symbols.  

Topic starter
(@burlesonbrad)

Ok. Done. Article updated with unique IDs for each comment.

Please note that I did finally have to make an editorial decision to also change the comment blocks to

opened="0"

It appeared quite unprofessional to have those redundant comment boxes opened showing the repetitious questions, so I decided to have them UNopened by default.

Other than that, everything else in the article is still the way it was previously.

The unique IDs given were changed to the format of 

question01
question02
question03
question04
.....and so forth.

Once the support staff views the updated article, could you please screenshot what is displaying on your end so that everyone might see it?

Is it still the same question prompt repeated over and over again?

-or-

After doing what was instructed, is the support staff seeing different question prompts now that the IDs have all been made unique?

Thanks! -Brad

Share: