The effects of alcohol on sustanon 250 leucine for – real weight loss & bodybuilding benefits?
Waiting more than 4...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Waiting more than 48 hrs for any response to these ongoing issues!

14 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Sophie
Topic starter
(@sophie)
Eminent Member

Hi there - we have been trying to get some answers to some issues that have been making your latest version very difficult to assimilate.

We've actually solved most of these ourselves while waiting for you to get back to us, but a few issues remain - and we still haven't heard from you after more than 48 hours! 

I'm sure you agree this isn't a great advertisement for either your customer service or your product, which is a shame since there is a lot to love about your software.

Major issues are: 

1. total incompatibility with iPhone5 and lower. Yes, iPhone5 is old but a lot of our visitors still use it. They now can't comment or even vote up comments!

This is a major flaw. Will you be addressing it in future updates? 

2. WHY have you incorporated the Quill WYSIWYG editor, when it's been known to have some major issues for years?

And why have you removed the simple markup buttons that were in the earlier versions? The current formatting options are clunky and slow, but the only alternative currently is this or no formatting buttons at all. This is a retrograde step.

I don't think you even use Quill on your own comment forms, or if you do you have modified it. So, why saddle your paying customers with an inferior version to the one you use yourselves? 

3. The plugin continues to have conflicts with several others  we use, most especially a smooth scroll plugin.

The author of that plugin has been incredibly helpful in trying to fix this conflict, whereas over the same time period you have done precisely nothing

We get tens of thousands of visitors a day and hundreds of comments. So we need site issues to be fixed ASAP. Will you be able to reply this time? Is there any prospect you could help us resolve the conflicts your upgrade has created? 

13 Replies
Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)
Honorable Member

Hi @sophie,

Please find my answers below.

Posted by: @sophie

1. total incompatibility with iPhone5 and lower. Yes, iPhone5 is old but a lot of our visitors still use it. They now can't comment or even vote up comments!

This is a major flaw. Will you be addressing it in future updates? 

Please explain more, what do you mean saying "total incompatibility"? Make sure you use the private mode of mobile browser to avoid browser caches. Just test it with the private session tab and let us know if you still see any issue. Also, make sure the rich editor option is only enabled for Desktop and disabled for mobile devices to make sure this is not an editor problem.

20130522 safariprivatebrowsing 2 615x475

2. WHY have you incorporated the Quill WYSIWYG editor, when it's been known to have some major issues for years?

We do use Quill on our websites. You can see it on the demo page. Currently, Quill is a robust editor and it works fine for small forms like comment forms. It trusted by Microsoft, VOX MEDIA, front, LinkedIn, SLACK, salesForce, etc...  We have dozens of thousands wpDiscuz users who use Quill editor, and we don't have any complaints regarding this editor.  Even more, all are more than satisfied and love it. It looks better, it brings lots of new features and it's many times user-friendly than the quick markup tags.

I don't know what major issues you mean, but currently it doesn't have any. If you mean iPhone 5 compatibility, just disable the rich editor for mobiles and keep it simple.

3. The plugin continues to have conflicts with several others  we use, most especially a smooth scroll plugin. The author of that plugin has been incredibly helpful in trying to fix this conflict, whereas over the same time period you have done precisely nothing

We do this every day for dozens of other plugins. Maybe not for this one, but we do it for lots of other plugins. I'm sorry, but we're not robots and can't work for all hundreds of thousands plugins. Currently, we're supporting more than hundreds of topics and emails per day. Dozens of plugins compatibility requests come every day. Dozens of new feature requests and option are asked to add. And all what we do is totally free. Yes, we have some paid addons, but we're not addon oriented, so you can see how rich is the free core plugin and how much afford we spend on the support. The 90% of our time we spend on the free support and free plugin development.

Just try to understand us and be more tolerant to any change/issue you have. Because all those issues are individual, all these issues are your website specific issues and not general. Since the update we've never received any complaints for the iPhone, for the Quill and for "smooth scroll plugin" plugin. You're the first and only user who have such problem. We do our best to help even individual issues as much as possible. But you should understand us that the general problems and conflict with popular plugins should be fixed first.

Even the iPhone 5 issue is probably a website specific issue. You can install a fresh WordPress in some sub-domain with a fresh wpDiscuz and check it to make sure. This will be a big help from your side.

1 Reply
Sophie
(@sophie)

Eminent Member

@tomson Thank you for getting back.

I appreciate you offer your basic plugin for free. But, as you say, there is also paid content. Which we have bought. So we are paying customers.

I also appreciate your plugin has 70,000+ active installations and that might be a heavy workload sometimes. 

On the other hand our site has that volume of traffic in a day or two and we offer zero paid content,  but as a site admin I would try not to leave a regular visitor hanging on a request for more than 12 hours or so.

So, I think a less than 48hr turnaround is not an unreasonable expectation, no? 

Re. Quill - if you are using it on your site you have incorporated modifiers which you didn't ship to your customers with the new plugin. 

Specifically,  the notorious blockquote/hard return issue seems to be resolved on your site.

as so

and so 

So why not add this feature to your plugin? That would be a great help. 

More importantly, why not retain your old simple markup buttons as a fallback? 

Re. iPhone5 - The private browser check was already made in our first exchange on here (different user name - KitK). We tried it. It doesn't work. We told you this three days ago, but, as I said, you didn't get back. 

We will try the fresh WP install. 

Re. Smoothscroller - Thanks for letting us know we are the only ones reporting this problem and that this puts us at the back of your line of customers with issues. It's not much help though, is it? As I'm sure you appreciate. 

other issues -
Your explanatory text inside the admin panel could be a lot more helpful. 

Eg - you do not say that the voting data can only be regenerated once and the option is then greyed out. We regenerated the first 500, assuming they could be done in increments. Consequently we now have around 150,000 comments with no voting data.  

What does the 'fixed tables data' option do? Again, a sentence or two of explanation next to the checkbox would be incredibly helpful. 

We have an entire comment thread devoted to people's user experience of the upgrade. I can send a link if you like. 

But just to show I'm not a total grouch - your plugin looks beautiful and is the most aesthetically pleasing comment software on the market by a country mile, which is why we are sticking with it through some difficult issues. 

And your decision to include the 'replying to' data was a godsend. We had been looking for a way to include this option for ages. 

So, many thanks for that - and let's hope we can resolve these issues ASAP! 

Sophie Green

Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)
Honorable Member

Thank you for the feedback.

Re. Quill - if you are using it on your site you have incorporated modifiers which you didn't ship to your customers with the new plugin. 

Specifically,  the notorious blockquote/hard return issue seems to be resolved on your site.

The quill editor is not modified on our website. We use the native wpDiscuz plugin, nothing else. if you have some style issue just open a separate topic with corresponding title and provide direct URL and screenshot to that issue. We'll check and provide you some CSS code to fix it.

Re. iPhone5 - The private browser check was already made in our first exchange on here (different user name - KitK). We tried it. It doesn't work. We told you this three days ago, but, as I said, you didn't get back. 

We will try the fresh WP install. 

How about the comment editor? Do you use it with the simple editor (disabled quill)?

It would be better to discuss this issue in a separate topic with some related title once you got some information related to the iPhone 5 test on a fresh website.

other issues -
Your explanatory text inside the admin panel could be a lot more helpful. 

Eg - you do not say that the voting data can only be regenerated once and the option is then greyed out. We regenerated the first 500, assuming they could be done in increments. Consequently we now have around 150,000 comments with no voting data.  

Ok, we'll add some way to allow it to regenerate again in upcoming versions.

What does the 'fixed tables data' option do? Again, a sentence or two of explanation next to the checkbox would be incredibly helpful. 

This button fixes table encoding issues. You don't have such issue. Otherwise, you'll get lots of WordPress database errors like this:

Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation 'like']

Sophie
Topic starter
(@sophie)
Eminent Member

The quill editor is not modified on our website. We use the native wpDiscuz plugin, nothing else. if you have some style issue just open a separate topic with corresponding title and provide direct URL and screenshot to that issue. We'll check and provide you some CSS code to fix it.

With respect this is not true. Quill has a native issue with blockquotes, in that it treats every hard return as opening and closing the blockquote tag, making it impossible for people to create paras inside a blockquote.

This is a well known problem than can only be resolved by modifying the script. You have modified it on your page,  but that modification isn't incorporated in your upgrade. 

Please rectify this ASAP? 

How about the comment editor? Do you use it with the simple editor (disabled quill)?

It would be better to discuss this issue in a separate topic with some related title once you got some information related to the iPhone 5 test on a fresh website.

Thanks but I prefer to keep everything in this thread for clarity rather than open another topic and have to explain it all from scratch.  

To answer your question - yes we have the simple editor enabled for cellphones. 

It does not fix the problem 

Ok, we'll add some way to allow it to regenerate again 

Thank you.

One more thing - when people edit their comments after posting random white space is generated at the end of the comment.

It can be very distracting. Any idea why or how to fix it?

Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)
Honorable Member

With respect this is not true. Quill has a native issue with blockquotes, in that it treats every hard return as opening and closing the blockquote tag, making it impossible for people to create paras inside a blockquote.

There is no any custom JS script that modifies quill in our website. All what you see here is the native wpDiscuz plugin. All comes from wpDiscuz plugin, there is no custom script. If you have any problem please provide screenshots and a direct URL where we can see that.

To answer your question - yes we have the simple editor enabled for cellphones. 

Ok, thank you for the information. I'll wait for further information related to the fresh installation.

Thanks but I prefer to keep everything in this thread for clarity rather than open another topic

The support we're providing here maybe also helpful for other people. So the same question could be discussed one time. But to make it happen the title of that discussion should be related. This is why I ask you open a new topic if you want to discus about some specific issue. The current topic title says nothing but complaining of 48 hours delay. Whatever, the discussion has been continued here, and we'll finish it here in this topic, it's late to move.

Sophie
Topic starter
(@sophie)
Eminent Member

There is no any custom JS script that modifies quill in our website. All what you see here is the native wpDiscuz plugin. All comes from wpDiscuz plugin, there is no custom script. If you have any problem please provide screenshots and a direct URL where we can see that.

Sorry, but this is not good enough. This is a known issue!  One of your colleagues Asti even acknowledged it on another thread here...

https://wpdiscuz.com/community/plugin-update-issues/still-experiencing-update-issues/

an integral function of Quill is that it doesn't support the <p> tag inside blockquote and a single hard return does not produce a new para inside the blockquote - it terminates the blockquote. (see it being discussed on Github )

This is what happens on our site but NOT on here. Therefore you must have a fix in place, which you have not shipped with your update. 

If you don't have the technical knowledge to deal with this can you please consult someone who does?

And can you please provide your customers with the blockquote fix you use on this site ASAP !?

7 Replies
Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)

Honorable Member

Ok, @sophie,

I'll not continue, this is the last time I'm saying that we don't have any custom code here at wpDiscuz Demo page: https://wpdiscuz.com/demo/ just test and make sure you're mentioned issues exists or not.

And please note, that this is a wpForo forum plugin not wpDiscuz comment plugin. I hope you don't mix it with the current discussion board. The discussion board you're currently using is wpForo forum plugin and it's based on TinyMCE not on Quill.

Sophie
(@sophie)

Eminent Member

I'll not continue, this is the last time I'm saying that we

don't have any custom code here at wpDiscuz Demo page: https://wpdiscuz.com/demo/ /a> just test and make sure you're mentioned issues exists or not

Excuse me? Are you really threatening to stop responding to me because you can't solve  a problem with your software?

Is this the kind of customer service you want associated with your name? 

please note, that this is a wpForo forum plugin not wpDiscuz comment plugin. I hope you don't mix it with the current discussion board. The discussion board you're currently using is wpForo forum plugin and it's based on TinyMCE not on Quill.

siiigh...ok, it's a shame you didn't just say this from the start isn't it. Perhaps I confused you, but I really think, if you check back in the conversation, I made it pretty plain I was talking about this forum, not your demo. 

Why don't you use Quill here, btw? 

Your demo blockquote is indeed performing in exactly the same way I have described.

So, go there and see the problem for yourself.

Create a blockquote.

Then make a hard return. 

Quill does not support a <p> tag inside the blockquote, and hard returns create multiple blockquotes. 

This is very very limiting and annoying for commenters and we have had a great deal of negative feedback - which we will happily publish here if you like?

Will you be producing a workaround ASAP? 

Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)

Honorable Member

@sophie,

So you were talking about this forum. And as far as I see you already know that the quill we use in our website comes from the native wpDiscuz plugin.

So you should recognize that you're currently in a forum not in a comment section.

Quill does not support a <p> tag inside the blockquote, and hard returns create multiple blockquotes. 

Is this the only issue you're currently having with the quill editor?

If so, then I can say yes, we'll try to find some workaround in the future releases. I'll add this in our to-do list.

Sophie
(@sophie)

Eminent Member

Hi there @tomson

Well at least, after several attempts and quite a lot of wasted time you finally answered my point about the blockquote! A shame you had to spoil it by diverting, rather rudely,  from your own misunderstanding by implying it was my fault! 

Is this really your idea of good customer relations at WPDiscuz? 

But anyway, much thanks for adding the blockquote issue to your to-do list and good to know you will try to fix it in future releases. Do you have an idea how soon this will be? 

In the interim is there any code you can supply me with that will fix it for us temporarily?

Can I also add a reminder of the issue of random whitespace hard returns appearing at the bottom of comments? It's an intermittent issue, and so far we can't diagnose what causes it. Sometimes it's only mildly annoying, at other times it produces so much whitespace as to be a problem. 

I'm happy to start a new thread about that if you like,  as I take your point about it being potentially useful for other people to see all the separate problems being experienced. 

Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)

Honorable Member

@sophie,

I think the 90% of misunderstanding were coming from your confusion related to this TinyMCE editor. You were asking for some code that doesn't exist. You were blaming us that we don't provide our solutions. Now you see that there were not any custom code and the editor you were mentioning was the TinyMCE not the Quill.

So I don't think it's a good idea to blame us and complain. We do our best to help you and all wpDiscuz users. We support users, not customers. This is not a customers area and this is not a customer support. This is the wpDiscuz Community for the free wpDiscuz plugin users and for the wpDiscuz funs. Here we support wpDiscuz users as much as we can. So you also see "Support Forum" title.

Whatever, now all is clear, and we'll look at the blockquote issue for sure. I can't promise that it'll be fixed. Maybe we'll replace it with other quoting function, or we'll find some workaround. In any case I don't have any ETA yet and I don't have any code right now. I'll update this topic once the issue is resolved.

Sophie
(@sophie)

Eminent Member

@tomson Please stop trying to blame shift.

I said 'I don't think you use Quill on your own comment forms' (note I did NOT say 'on your demo site').

You replied 'yes we do use Quill.'

At this point any responsible person in your position would have said 'we use Quill in the demo, but not on this forum.'

I don't  know why you didn't do this, whether you failed to understand me or were just being obstructive, but the fact you didn't clarify makes the misunderstanding, and my wasted time, 100% YOUR responsibility.

Acknowledging this would be a minimum courtesy in the circumstances.

You are certainly not doing your website and product any favours by blaming paying customers for your mistakes. 

You still have not explained why you don't include the old html markup option as a backup for the WYSIWYG editor and for mobile  use. 

Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)

Honorable Member

@sophie,

BTW, we've found a workaround for the Quill bloackquote issue. Also, a week ago we've added the quicktags to the simple comment editor. All will be available with the next 7.0.4 version. We're planning to released it this week.

I'm closing this topic. If you'll have further questions please open a new  appropriate topic.

Share: