Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] commenter profile hijacking

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@tberger06)

One of the websites that I'm an active member of uses this wpDiscuz plugin and all that is needed to comment is a username and email address. All comments made under that email address build up a comment history. However, if a 3rd party knows a particular commenters email address, they can then freely post comments as that user. Someone has figured out my commenting email address and is posting rude replies in my name which hurts my credibility on the site.

Is it possible for the site admin to change a commenter's associated email address in the wpDiscuz settings somehow? I don't see any other option to put an end to this issue.

Thanks!

7 Replies
Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)
Illustrious Member

@tberger06,

The email can be edited in the Dashboard > Comments admin page. Please watch this video: https://www.screencast.com/t/YzILWNYb

I may also suggest you check out the "Use guest email to detect registered account" option. Please find more info here: https://wpdiscuz.com/docs/wpdiscuz-7/plugin-settings/user-authorization-and-profile-data/#use-guest-email-to-detect-registered-account

6 Replies
(@tberger06)

@asti When a comment is edited and the email address changed like that, does that only apply to the one comment? Or does that allow the user to now comment under the updated email address with all the comment history of the previous email address?

Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@tberger06,

When a comment is edited and the email address changed like that, does that only apply to the one comment?

Yes, it applies only to this comment. 

Or does that allow the user to now comment under the updated email address with all the comment history of the previous email address?

Please clarify a bit. 

(@tberger06)

@asti This particular website tracks comment history according to the email address used to make a comment. You can click on the "i" button on a comment and see details on that user to include comment count, thumbs up/down, and commenting history.

Since someone has figured out my email address I use to comment with, they can freely impersonate me and make disparaging comments that appear to be me. I want to edit the email address that is associated with my profile and comment history so that whoever it is can no longer impersonate me.

Screenshot 2023 02 02 060837
Screenshot 2023 02 02 060916
Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@tberger06,

The comment shouldn't appear in the user activity section. 

(@tberger06)

@asti I don't know what else to tell you. Someone knows the email address associated with my commenting profile and then will sporadically post rude comments under my name. These comments do appear in my comment history and that's the only way I know about them. This is happening to other high-profile commenters on the site as well.

Doesn't wpDiscuz use some sort of database for storing comments and profile data? I mean it should be technically possible to do what I'm asking, I'm not the site admin and not at all familiar with this commenting plugin. I'm trying to do the legwork and provide a solution to the site admin.

Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@tberger06,

You should contact the website administrators and ask them to remove those comments.  

Share: