Notifications
Clear all

"Highlight Unread Comments" not working

14 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@scr00chy)

Hi, my users have been reporting for a while that new comments are not being highlighted anymore. The "Highlight Unread Comments" setting is turned on in the settings. I don't know when it stopped working but I know it used to work in the past (although I'm not sure if it ever worked after the big wpDiscuz 7 update.

Any idea what might be causing this? Should I try to reset or reinstall the plugin?

13 Replies
Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)
Illustrious Member

@scr00chy,

Please leave some example URL to allow us t check the issue. 

12 Replies
(@scr00chy)

@asti www.elonx.cz

Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@scr00chy,

Please note the Highlight Unread Comments option works only for registered users,  but not for guests. Are you sure you're checking as a registered user?

(@scr00chy)

@asti Since when is it registered-only? I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case in the past.

That said, highlighting isn't working for me even as a registered user.

Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@scr00chy,

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case in the past.

It never works for guests. 

That said, highlighting isn't working for me even as a registered user.

Then please register some new testing user and send the user's login details with your forum URL to info[at]gvectors.com email address to allow us to check the issue.

Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

Thank you @scr00chy, we see the issue

Could you please change the role of the user to the Administrator and let us know? 

(@scr00chy)

@asti I'm afraid I can't do that. That would give you access to my entire site. Why do you need it? If you want to change plugin settings, just tell me what to check or change.

Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@scr00chy,

Ok, we've found the reason for it. You should use the value of the "Load with page" as a value of the "Comment List Loading Type" option. The Highlight Unread Comments option is not working with the "Initiate AJAX loading after page" value. 

(@scr00chy)

@asti Ok, thanks, I'll try to change the settings to see if it works.

(@scr00chy)

Looks like the workaround worked.

Is this something you will be able to fix, or will comment highlighting never be possible with Ajax loading?

(@szczys)

@scr00chy and @asti

I found this thread as I am also unable to get the unread comment highlighting to work.

I'm still working on it (turning off Ajax didn't work for me) but wanted to say that we would also like to see this feature working with Ajax. We have it turned on because we often have comments numbering into the hundreds. Pagination needs to be turned off in order to use comment sorting, so enabling Ajax is necessary to keep page loading times down.

Asti
 Asti
Support
(@asti)

Illustrious Member

@szczys,

We're really sorry, but the comment highlighting feature doesn't work with pagination and Ajax loading. 

(@scr00chy)

@asti Is there a way to make it work for users without WP accounts (guests)? Should be possible with cookies, right?

I thought it used to work for guests but I could be wrong.

Share: