The effects of alcohol on sustanon 250 leucine for – real weight loss & bodybuilding benefits?
7.0.2: Critical err...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

7.0.2: Critical error, Uncaught Error: [] operator not supported for strings...

11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@sabinooo)

Hello,

I had to disable wpdiscuz in an emergency, right after the upgrade to the new 7 branch (I waited till it got its second update, old habits of being careful) I found it turned every post’s page into a white page of death.

Error log, kindly emailed by wordpress:

WordPress version 5.3.3
Current theme: perso (version 2020.1)
Current plugin: wpDiscuz (version 7.0.2)
PHP version 7.2.31-1+0~20200514.41+debian10~1.gbpe2a56b

Error Details
=============
An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 1389 of the file /home/blogpaul/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php. Error message: Uncaught Error: [] operator not supported for strings in /home/blogpaul/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php:1389
Stack trace:
#0 /home/blogpaul/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(290): WpdiscuzCore->addPluginSettingsLink(‘

Server: Debian 10, LAMP, MariaDB, php 7.3 fcgi.

Tried switching to a default theme, still the same.

Presence of wp-supercache and cloudflare, but the tests were repeated after emptying supercache, purging cloudflare, putting cloudflare in development mode, and purging supercache again: same thing.

After this, I allowed wordpress to upate itself to the 5.4 branch, it made no difference, unfortunately.

I disabled the plugin by renaming its folder in the wp-content directory, tried reactivating it once, had the same error.

Downloading the former version of wpdizcuz, 5.3.5 from wordpress.org and reuploading it instead fixed the main issue, although most of my styling options are gone, and I had to toggle the option to use the native wordpress Ajax otherwise adding commments wouldn't work, sigh.
But, hey, not gonna complain, it’s already an improvement over dead blog post pages.

If you guys want more testing, I’m ready to test with any version you like, I’d like to get that fixed, so I don’t mind trying stuff. LMK, otherwise, you now have my bug report.

10 Replies
Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)
Honorable Member

Hi @sabinooo,

I think wpDiscuz files are damaged on your server. We've never faced with such a weird issue. It's supposed to be WordPress 5.3 version issue. Could you please clone your website into some sub-domain using the Duplicator plugin then update to the latest WordPress version?

Topic starter
(@sabinooo)
1 Reply
Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)

Honorable Member

Thank you @sabinooo,

I see all problems comes from your WordPress global $wpdb object. For some reason it doesn't have $wpdb->collate variable. This is wired too. Because of this small issue, wpDiscuz database tables are not created and lots of PHP errors are generated. I think your WordPress has some hard customization or some plugin does that.

The best way to detect it is installing a fresh WordPress on your server and activating wpDiscuz. Then check the issues. If you don't see any problems then this is a WP issue, if the same problems exist then this is your server configuration issue.

In any case just let us know the result of fresh WP installation, and we'll start searching solutions for you.

Topic starter
(@sabinooo)

Thanks Tom,

As you recommended, I tested with a basical blog in a subdirectory, and for that one, wpdiscuz 7.2 works.

Minor progress, fixing an issue with another blog plugin that is used to add syntaxic colouring to raw html editing windows stopped Wpdiscuz7.2 causing a full site-breaking critical error, https://wordpress.org/support/topic/if-your-plugin-is-going-haywire-click-here-for-the-fix-jan-2020/

However... Wp-discuz 7.2 still breaks the site's pages, although now not to the point of generating a fatal error that breaks the entire site in its entirety, now it's only white pages for individual posts that possess a comments field.

Wp-supercache and cloudflare were cleared and in development mode, of course.

And, basically, in the error log, there's this super weird issue that the query to create additional database tables only work WITHOUT the final DEFAULT CHARACTER SET COLLATE bits O_o

mod_fcgid: stderr: WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'COLLATE' at line 1 for query CREATE TABLE `wp_wc_feedback_forms` (`id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `post_id` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `unique_id` VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL, `question` varchar(255) NOT NULL, `opened` TINYINT(4) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `content` LONGTEXT NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (`id`), UNIQUE KEY `unique_id` (`unique_id`), KEY `post_id` (`post_id`)) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARACTER SET COLLATE ; made by activate_plugin, do_action('activate___wpdiscuz7.2__/class.WpdiscuzCore.php'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, WpdiscuzCore->pluginActivation, WpdiscuzCore->activateWpDiscuz, WpdiscuzDBManager->dbCreateTables, maybe_create_table, referer:  https://www. [redacted]/wp-admin/plugins.php
mod_fcgid: stderr: WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'COLLATE' at line 1 for query CREATE TABLE `wp_wc_users_rated` (`id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `post_id` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `user_id` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `user_ip` VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `rating` int(11) NOT NULL, `date` INT(11) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, PRIMARY KEY (`id`), KEY `post_id` (`post_id`), KEY `user_id` (`user_id`)) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARACTER SET COLLATE ; made by activate_plugin, do_action('activate___wpdiscuz7.2__/class.WpdiscuzCore.php'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, WpdiscuzCore->pluginActivation, WpdiscuzCore->activateWpDiscuz, WpdiscuzDBManager->dbCreateTables, maybe_create_table, referer: https://www. [redacted]/wp-admin/plugins.php
Followed by tons of "mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in " entries.

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/4ZI65oB

You're right, something is off.

The default database encoding on the server is utf8mb4, so that part should be OK.
Adding (they were not present by default, it's an oooooold blog, that went through several hosts and started in the era where Latin1 was still the norm) define( 'DB_CHARSET', 'utf8mb4' ); and define( 'DB_COLLATE', '' ); to wp-config didn't change anything.

Afterwards (not before, after), I made a test, just in case, as I saw a discrepancy: the default character set is utf8mb4, utf8mb4_general_ci in phpmyadmin, while the already existing wpdiscuz tables, inherited from the earlier versions of the plugin, are currently in utf8_general_ci.

I told to myself "who knows, maybe converting everything to the very same encoding, ut8mb4, might help", but four wpdiscuz tables cannot be converted, error 1071, too long key (screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/MveNo0c ): wp_wc_avatars_cache, wp_wc_comments_subscription, wp_wc_phrases, wp_wc_users_voted, so that test ended before finishing.

That's as far as I can go myself, does that help, and yet I'm willing to help, do you have any suggestions?

Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)
Honorable Member

Ok, thank you for the details @sabinooo,

We'll need login as admin, install the phpMyAdmin plugin and fix wpDiscuz database issues on your website. Can you please provide admin access to the website? If so please send it to info[at]gvectors.com email address.

Topic starter
(@sabinooo)

Hello Tom, and thank you,

If access to PhpMyAdmin is necessary, I can grant that, allright. I'm sending the email in just one minute, with the information.

If more is needed than is offered in that mail, LMK.

Have a good day!

1 Reply
Tom
 Tom
Support
(@tomson)

Honorable Member

Hi @sabinooo,

Thank you for the access details. We just created the missing tables. Please delete all caches again and test it.

Topic starter
(@sabinooo)

Hello again, thank you for helping!

I would be eager to know what you have done to create the tables (run the same query without the final collation method?).

Unfortunately, I'm terribly sorry to say that didn't fix the problem.

Trying to explain my testing without making it confusing:

- I've made use of the "official" database, of the live site using wpdiscuz 5, and a second database, onto which I cloned the site's database, to test that second one with wpdiscuz 7.

I would selectively update wp-config.php to make the site use the official database, or the clone.
During the testing, Cloudflare was in development mode (no caching at all), while wp-supercache was deactivated.

In the site's wp-content/plugins/ directory, there would be a directory "wpdiscuz5.3.5", and a directory "wpdiscuz7.2", allowing freedom of choice to activate either of them.

I would also check the site's apache error log after every change was made.

- Starting point, the "live" database, with wpdiscuz 5. Works. Nothing is added to Apache's error log over 20 minutes.

- I edited wp-config.php to make the blog engine use the second database. In there, in wp-admin, I deactivated wpdiscuz 5, and then activated wpdiscuz 7.
Trying to open any page of the website that contains a comment field: dead page with the "critical error" message, here's a screenshot... https://imgur.com/a/WfADldZ

In apache's error log, nothing appears in relation to that error.

However, tons of entries with "mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 402653184 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2097160 bytes) in /home/..." appear in apache's error log. Apparently, most of the, if not every visitor doing anything with the site, now generates this in the logs.
Here's a screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/lsz0XAH
I tried increasing the maximum memory PHP is allowed to use, at the beginning it was just 128 MB, I tripled it, the frequency of those errors remained the same. Adding a "define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '384M');" in wp-config.php (there was no memory limit mentioned before) didn't change anything either.

- I tried several times, made sure Cloudflare caching was off, that the wp-supercache plugin was deactivated. I went in wpdizcuz 7's configuration pages (the configuration pages DO work, it's only the blog pages with a comment field, that are dead), and changed every changeable option.
I also deleted the directory with wpdiscuz 7, to reupload a clean, freshly downloaded copy.
Still the same situation, it works with wpdiscuz 5, not wpdiscuz 7.

I'm open to every kind of testing of experimenting you want to do, as I would be eager to help solve that issue, would you have something in mind, hopefully?

Page 1 / 2
Share: